Thursday, November 18, 2010

Laule Kimori's story for the Taxi story contest

A Tale of Two Witches

It was between life and death that I found myself that day, which makes taxiin difficult as the dead don't pay for there rides even before I tried and failed them. This was the way with Taxi requests it seemed, I missed the part when the request came to me where the client said if you taxi me you will kill me! But as always no questions asked I serve to please and when I arrive the details always seep out, "I have no money!" "I didn't know escrow had vampires!" but I guess other Taxi's just get angry, I however am the fluffy, nice but easy to fool Taxi and in this instance I was oh so absent in my thought.

It had always been well known how much I admired Witches, even before I was promoted to head witch in the Guild of taxi's I was always keen to talk to witches but witches so rarely require our services. When a request came from a young witch I was very excited, so awoken by the thought that I quite forgot myself.

She was waiting at a small church in Sto lat, I admit this made me more keen than ever as I requested her kindly to follow me and called upon pishe to grant me and my young fare the means to travel. This was my first mistake as I could not travel from within a sanctuary so I took her by the hand and lead her outside, my second mistake!

I saw flowers, brides maids, people cheering and birds singing songs of celebration......A lynch mob was waiting!

Unknown to me this innocent Witch had committed crimes against the good people of Sto lat and even though I was quick to move to defend her I was too late, one thug had grabbed her and I treed to keep a grip of her hand but the crowd surged around me and she had gone like a small boat that has been pulled from the shore by the rage of a storm.

I found her body..... I knelt and I cried, why hadent she told me and it soon dawned why she had been in the sanctuary in the first place and I felt such a fool. I felt a cold hand resting reassuringly on my shoulder.

Still very shocked and dazed by the whole thing I raised my hand to my shoulder, my sigh deep I closed my eyes, one last tear rolled down my cheek as I said "you have departed."

It felt very different and although I had helped many souls find their way back to the world of the living, I knew that even Pishe could not grant my request here, and the severity of the situation was clear.

Back in the Taxi Guild office sat behind my desk feeling very feeble, when the call comes in. Another witch requires help in the Ramtops!

I says resolved "I am there!"

It was dark by the time I arrived in Razorback, the message read "beside Fire fly lake" in a fine scripted hand. I climbed down off the bridge and walked with some trepidation down towards the lake.

Sat on the quaint bench awaiting fare, elbows on my knees, face in my palms considering the day's events when I felt the cold sharp of a blade against my throat...... My breaths deepened...... my pulse quickened...... I could feel the sweat on my brow even though it was not a warm night.

I felt warm breaths flow from my ear on to my neck, I waited......

"Laule Kimori?" her voice was cutting but had a softness to it that I just couldn't place. "I need your help" The blade still held tight to my jugular, I mustered the courage to speak and only could manage in a grunt of a man in fear for his life "Yes?", "Did you see others on the way here?" she withdrew the blade, I felt relieved and thankful.

I stood up, "No, I saw no one" She stepped into the light of the moon and I caught a glimpse of her pale as the purely driven snow skin, her eyes mirrored the colour of the moon light as it penetrates the canopy above and her lips..... drew my attention as she spoke a whisper "where can you take me?" lips red like blood.

I felt like I was in a dream and I gazed a little longer into her eyes before I realized I was staring. I quickly glanced over at the pool "The pool is beautiful!" I absently said.

I could sense impatience in her voice.... but also tiredness "I can't run anymore!" she looked around nervously, "they have not let me rest, it all started in Bad ass on the lane near granny's! Since they have taken my broom" She looked very weary.

Suddenly there was a flash! She Gasped "their here!", figures clad in black where all around us.
I moved to defend her drawing my mighty mace into both hands. I swung wildly but they where just too quick, lightning arched across the clearing narrowly missing me catching the witch square in the chest.

Her tired body slumped to the ground. I stooped over here, my heart pumping.... she was still breathing and then I knew where to go! I called out to pishe and we faded into the clearing.

Kneeling on the rainy more tears dampened my rain drenched check further, I placed my hands on the burns on her chest and preyed and the life came back into her, She smiled and said "I just need some space to breath, need to get away!"

Her words returned the warmth into my bones, I wiped my face with the back of my hand, stood and sheathed my Retribution. "When you have recovered your strength, I have a beautiful secluded place for you in the mountain kingdom of Calh-Nhad far far away."

No comments: